Sunday 6 January 2008

Week 0 - One Musical Idea

Last week, just before New Year I had an idea. I was thinking about the music from the last year (undoubtedly brought upon by Lee's notes) and I was struggling to remember what my musical highlights were, so this is what I am going to do about it. For every week of 2008 I intend to buy (not download!) an album released in that week, so by the end I will hopefully have seen the best of what the music industry has to offer this year. Inevitably I will buy some written by artists of which I have never heard, and probably will come across some that I buy that I do not like but I hope that this musical journey will be rewarding nonetheless.

So what is there to look forward to? New albums by bands such as The Subways and Los Campesinos! first spring to mind as well as offerings by The Futureheads and maybe even Franz or the Arctic Monkeys. As for the first few weeks I've pencilled in British Sea Power but also an album by Tom Baxter who I only came across in thinking about this project but I find (through Last.fm) may be similar to other artists I've bought before.

From what I can remember of last year the outstanding album was The Cribs' third offering. It rose above other challengers such as the Monkey's second and new ones from The Hives and Ash and while the Klaxons debut was an impressive musical feat, their failure to actually make a noise that was actually in tune took the edge off all but about three songs. How any of these will compare to any of the 2008 releases remains to be seen and that is what I hope to find out over the next 52 weeks.

No comments: